These cute zipper flowers can me made into a number of accessories by adding different backers such as a pin. I made them into two hair accessories (go figure). So get some supplies and start crafting…you will have your own in a zip!
- 22” zipper
- Glue Gun
- Headband or gator clip
- Cut bottom end off of the zipper and remove the sliding “zipper” piece. You will have 2 zipper ribbons, both are used to make the flower.
- Using the felt, cut out one 1” round piece and one 1.25” round piece.
- Take the 1” round piece of felt and sew the end to the center of the circle.
- Take the zipper ribbon and loop it up and around so it looks like fig. 4. The loop should be approximately 2” from end to end. Stitch the loop in place through the center.
- Loop the zipper ribbon a second time making a “figure 8” and stitch in place.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5, moving the ribbon loops to the side of the one you just created. See Figures 6A through 6C. When you get to the end of the first zipper ribbon tie off the thread on the back of the felt but do not cut it.
- Take the second zipper ribbon and sew it to the center of the flower.
- Loop the second zipper ribbon in a similar fashion to the first but make the loops/petals slightly smaller (approx. 1” to 1.25” long). Try to place the loops in between the larger loops in the back to fill in the gaps.
- After you have made 5 loop/petals with the second zipper ribbon secure the loops and tie off the thread. Make sure you have a tail of ribbon left to make the center of the flower. Cut off the thread.
- Starting at the end of the un-looped zipper ribbon, start to roll the zipper ribbon unto itself toward the center of the flower making sure to stay stitch the “non tooth” end when necessary (see figs. 10A and 10B).
- When the zipper ribbon is completely rolled up, stitch the roll at its base through the center of the flower through to the back of the felt. Come back through (carefully) and repeat this step until you feel the rolled center is secure. When it is secure tie off the thread on the back end.
Take the 1.25” circle from step one and put 2 slits in the center of the felt so you can slide the gator clip through it. Then simply glue the two felt pieces together with hot glue.
Pick a spot on the headband where you would like the flower and glue the felt to the top side of the headband. Taking the 1.25” circle of felt from step 1, glue the circle to the other piece of felt sandwiching the headband in between.